Friday, June 18, 2010

Sew & Tell #3!

I did it! For this week's Sew & Tell Friday at Amylouwho's blog, I finished Ben's shirt! After I decided to sit down and just do the sleeves - as everyone suggested - I realized I wasn't even going to be done yet. I did the dive-in thing, and felt so proud once the first sleeve seemed to look right, and then I remembered the even more daunting and unfamiliar task of... BUTTON HOLES! I was a little bit freaked out, but I persisted. Late this morning, Ben got to put on his shirt. Now he doesn't want to take it off! I'm glad it turned out and that he loves it so much!

Photobucket

The button holes and buttons were the only part waiting to get done this morning, so I jumped right in and didn't stop until it was finished. I was terrified that I would cut through the stitches on a button hole, or that I would stitch it all wrong. The last time I was supposed to use button holes, by direction of a pattern, I gave up and just sewed the buttons on and decided it couldn't come unbottoned. I was too scared to mess up the so-far-so-good project to go and explore the unknown. With a button-up shirt, it turns out it's not so simple!

Photobucket

And I took a close-up to show the design and color a little better, too!

Photobucket

So far, this is my most accomplished Sew & Tell! I'm looking forward to seeing everyone else's finished projects this week!

13 comments:

  1. Love that paisley! And button holes freak me out too. But not as bad as zippers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness - I am thoroughly impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! I really love the fabric. I'm uneasy about buttons but have a dress needing ME to just sit don and get it done too! you inspired me to FINISH UP already...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific! Great shirt-you should be proud!

    Oh, I've never done buttonholes-scary things! I did finally learn to put in zippers (on pillow backs) two years ago! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job! We told you you could do it! This is great and you did a fantastic job. It is so special have someone wear something that you made just for them, and have them like it! Congrats!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo, Jen!!! Great job!! And a good trick for buttonholes - you can always "practice" on a paper napkin - I usually have to do this because I can't ever remember which direction my buttonholer goes (whether I have to put the fabric edge toward the front or back of the buttonholer!) Also, get a very sharp pair of small scissors (like 2" blades) to cut your buttonholes with and you're less likely to cut something you shouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great shirt!!!! amazing finish

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG...that's is a perfect finishing and what a gorgeous fabric

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great shirt. Buttonholes aren't so daunting after you have done a few, one after the other. i amde a bunch of throw cushions with buttons on the back. I was much better by the end.

    ReplyDelete
  10. well done! glad you got it finished:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sew talented!!! Great shirt!! Way to work it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way to go! The shirt looks terrific, and Ben seems quite happy with it. :-) I can relate to your feeling about buttonholes. I'm trying to transition from quilting to sewing, and buttonholes are definitely intimidating. But I did my first ones yesterday and they turned out okay! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very accomplished, indeed! I love that fabric. What a great guy. I think this is the one area where my husband might not trust me so much. (And rightly so.)

    ReplyDelete